ImPACT baseline and post-injury testing can be administered remotely via telemedicine. Bench studies have shown no significant difference with ImPACT taken at home versus in a controlled environment, however, there are still steps you can take to minimize threats to validity.
- Before the patient completes the test, review the test instructions with them and ask them if they have any questions.
- Make sure patients have the needed equipment and meet technical requirements such as internet connectivity.
- Make sure patients have a quiet and distraction-free environment in which they can complete the test.
- Supervise test administration via video call.
- Take advantage of ImPACT’s built in validity indicators to screen for invalid scores that need to be re-done.
- Document any threats to validity that might have occurred.
Having a well-thought-out telemedicine workflow, that includes pre-appointment checks for patient appropriateness and technical requirements is critical for getting valid and reliable scores for ImPACT baseline or post-injury tests.
Learn more in this webinar replay: Leveraging Telemedicine for Concussion Care.