When incorporating a telemedicine component in your concussion care practice, it’s critical to have a reliable workflow in place. Here is an example of a step by step workflow you can adopt for your own telemedicine services.
Step #1: Patient Intake
- First, determine their appropriateness for telemedicine services.
- If the patient is deemed appropriate, send them any necessary paperwork, a link to complete ImPACT remotely, and schedule an appointment.
- Tell patients paperwork must be completed prior to their appointment or it will be rescheduled.
- This would also be the time to conduct any pre-appointment checks including technical requirements, and let patients know what to expect during their telemedicine visit.
Step #2: Day-of the Telemedicine Appointment
- Review patients’ medical history and any paperwork or self-evaluations you had them complete prior to their appointment.
- At the start of the telemedicine visit, review your telemedicine policy with the patient.
- Educate your patient on concussions and what to expect throughout recovery.
- Review their medical history with them.
- Review their ImPACT clinical report with them.
- Carry out your concussion assessment and evaluation.
- Create your concussion care treatment plan and explain it to your patient.
Step #3: Post-appointment
- Document your telemedicine visit including any disruptions to the appointment.
- Get reimbursed for your telemedicine visit by utilizing the right CPT billing codes.
Learn more in this webinar replay: Leveraging Telemedicine for Concussion Care.