To accommodate the growing demand for telemedicine, CMS has relaxed its requirements for reimbursement for telemedicine services and they continue to adjust their policy to fit the needs of both patients and healthcare providers.
Here are some ways you can get the best reimbursement rate for your concussion care services:
- Use ImPACT post-injury testing via telemedicine as part of your concussion evaluation.
- Leverage the right billing codes
- CMS has expanded coverage to include CPT 96116, 96132, 96133, 96136, and 96137 for telemedicine using modifier 95.
- Include thorough and accurate documentation when submitting claims
- There are some additional things you should document for telemedicine appointments in addition to your normal documentation. Document that it was an audio + video appointment, document any technical issues, and document any other potential threats to validity.
Learn more in the Concussion Care Billing Guide.
Always refer to your local, state, and federal guidelines before billing.